With the increased demand for professionals continues to change at a high rate in all fields; detailed attention is paid to the accounting sector in the education programs. The increased effectiveness of professionals is from the strong accounting school educational programs which are strengthened by the teaching roles and methodologies.
Teachers are the greatest fascinators who ensure that all the students are well attended to, improving their knowledge and computations needed in accounting classes. If at any point the teachers are unappreciated and unnoticed then there is a tendency of producing students who do not understand the scope of accounting and its functionalities. Accounting education is offered in certificate levels, undergraduate levels, graduate, and doctoral levels. Providing quality education to students increases their marketability and efficiency in the workforce.
Teaching role in accounting
The majority of the academic institutions are excellence-driven in their teaching methodologies and most countries support the learning institutions depending on the number of graduates and their successful placement in the working industry. The vision and mission declaration of many learning institutions in the accounting sector clearly show their concerns for the interests of the public, students, and employers.
Most of the institutions aim at preparing their students for career growth opportunities with the highest levels of professionalism and have managerial responsibilities within their jurisdictions and the society at large.
Accounting faculties in the learning institutions are in short supply
The demand for the doctoral accounting programs in the school faculties outruns the supply. Generally, PHDs accounting salaries are rather high at the end of the faculty compensations as they are driven by market forces and fairness. Moreover, the salaries remuneration does not rise anywhere close to the professionals in the public accounting with time. According to conducted research accounting education is expensive and takes time before completion of the program. Besides, some of the academic institutions continuously increase very small amounts of annual salaries.
Staying relevant current
The accounting faculties in schools spend substantial time when it comes to keeping up with the required standards and the law changes within their teaching areas. Unlike other faculties like mathematics and classical studies, accounting faculty members who do not keep up with the current professional accounting evolutions then their careers are doomed within a very short time. Students are not the only ones who notice their incompetency from the current subject matters but the employers as well notice which schools have students keep up with the current changes and which ones do not. Also, the accounting associations would sink the institutions’ success rates.
The significance of tenure and research
For succeeding, the accounting doctorates and professors have to demonstrate abilities in publishing their individual research. Those who fail to publish their research their services are terminated as they are no longer fit to stay in the accounting programs. The quality and quantity of the published work changes in accordance with the research degrees that are necessary for the production of the final results. Besides, in all circumstances faculties have to publish their research frequently. If in any case, publishing stops after tenure the faculty members then receive an increased workload to cover up the difference.
Research is an efficient tool in teaching as it increases the educator’s quality of information delivery to the students and continually improves the students’ efficiency and capabilities.
The role played by the faculty of accounting in the university governance
The senate of the faculty is identified as the voice of the faculty. Apart from tenure and the rules of promotion the senate is the paramount vehicle that avails the learning institution administration with all the problems and propositions of the faculty. The deans ‘position is surely demanding with a lot of responsibilities both in management and accounting of the faculties activities. Hence, being well-conversant with the accounting technicalities helps in delivering his or her duties in a timely and orderly manner while availing sufficient solutions to the faculty problems.
There are advantages of studying accounts in one’s educational background including;
- A clear career path: when you study accounts you learn the practical skills of handling numbers and cost analysis and this is something employers need. When a person decides to pursue a degree or certificate in accounting they have a solid clue of their career path.
- It has growth opportunities and stability: accounting as a profession is not going anywhere as almost every business requires an accountant or a large accounting team to help with accounting and management tasks. When one penetrates the accounting field you are sure of career and financial growth.
- Professional growth potential: a graduate is more likely to join the workforce at the entry-level and the potential of their career development is high. Positions for the graduates include; junior auditors, assistant accountants, and staff accountants. After gaining the relevant experience career advancements are achieved through improved and great job performance and additional certificates or education levels for example becoming a certified professional accountant.
- You can work where your interests are: accounting is everywhere hence getting a job position in accounting may not be the hardest thing. The private sector to the public sector all require accounting services and there is potential in the entrepreneurial world.
The disadvantages of accounting as a career
- Education is always ongoing: education in accounting never stops. Once you earn your degree to have career progressions then you will have to continue your education to keep up with the developments and changes in the accounting industry and get relevant certifications for example CPA.
- Accounting work may seem dull: how many famous accountants in the world do you know? Still, struggling to get a name? Well, the reason is that accounting is never seen as a glamorous sector. The daily work needs a lot of keenness when it comes to mathematical solutions and investigation which are boring to some people but interesting to others.
In conclusion, accounting education requires deep education as well as continued upgrading of one’s education to keep up with the current requirements. The benefits of being in the accounting field outweigh the disadvantages. Some of the disadvantages include; there are busy seasons, work may be stressful. The pros are flexibility, marketability of the career, and growth in the career. Academic institutions are not always to perfection but they strive to produce well-educated students who are highly sought after by businesses because of their diverse skills and knowledge.